MACHHER JHOL RECIPE (Fish Curry) Machher Jhol is a traditional Bengali recipe.
• 1 White fish, cut into 4 pieces (30mm chunks)
• 2 tsp Ginger, shredded
• 2 tsp Green chili, chopped
• 1 tsp Turmeric powder
• 2 tbsp Black mustard seeds
• 2 tsp Panch phoron (equal parts of whole cumin, fennel,
fenugreek, nigella and mustard seeds)
• 150 ml Water
• Mustard oil, for frying
• Salt to taste
• Heat oil in a kadhai or wok and fry the fish for 20
minutes. Set aside.
• Make a fine paste of ginger, chili, turmeric and mustard seeds,
with a little water, in the food processor/mixi.
• Heat oil in a pan and add panch phoron.
• When the seeds crackle, add the mustard paste and salt.
• Cook for 5 minutes, stirring all the while.
• Add fish and rest of the water. Simmer for 5 minutes.
• Serve hot with boiled rice.
• Machher Jhol is ready.