White or Brown Bread or oats can be used instead of Rava in this recipe.
Makes 8-10 Idlis
Approximate Calories: 270 Kcal per serving of 2 idlis and sambhar
2 cups Rice
Urad Daal (white)
1 1/2 tblsp Salt
A pinch of
Oil for greasing
• Pick, wash and soak the daal overnight or
for 8 hours.
• Pick, wash and drain the rice. Grind it coarsely in a blender.
• Grind the daal into a smooth and forthy paste.
• Now mix the grinded rice and daal together into a batter.
• Mix salt and set aside in a warm place for 8-9 hours or
overnight for fermenting.
• Idlis are ready to be cooked when the batter is well
• Grease the idle holder or pan well and fill each of thm with
3/4th full of batter.
• Steam cook idlis on medium flame for about 10 minutes or until
• Use a butter knife to remove the idlis.
• Serve them with sambhar or chutney.
protein at every meal, including breakfast.
Eliminate wheat- and flour-based products for the time being.
Reduce starch to one portion a day, and don't eat that portion during your
Apples, pears, plums and berries all are good choices. Bananas are not.
Reduce or eliminate dairy for the time being, especially cow's milk.