- 2 cups wholewheat flour
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 cup kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tsp
ajwain/ carom seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsps
vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
• Put all the ingredients in a large mixing
bowl and stir together. Now make a well in the center and add a
little water. Mix to blend in the flour and other ingredients
adding a little water at a time, only as required. When the
ingredients have all blended, knead to make smooth, firm dough.
Keep aside for 30 minutes.
• Now divide the dough into 20 equal portions. Lightly flour a
clean, dry work surface so you can roll out the Khakra on it.
Using a rolling pin, roll the Khakra out till it is wafer thin.
Add more dry flour if required, to prevent the dough from
sticking to your rolling surface.
• Roll out all the Khakra like this. When done, you can cook the
Khakras in a tortilla maker or on a pan.
• To cook on a pan: Heat a flat pan on low heat. Brush a very
small amount of the cooking oil onto the pan and put a Khakra on
• When you see a few 'bubbles' appear on the upper surface flip
the Khakra and gently press down and around on it in a circular
motion, with a thick, clean kitchen towel. This will prevent it
from puffing out and will also help it get crispy! Keep doing
this till the lower surface is crisp, speckled and golden. Flip
again and repeat on the other side till that is golden too.
Remove from the heat and place on a plate lined with paper
towel. Repeat for all the remaining Khakra.
• Serve with a cup of steaming Masala Chai
Approximate Calories: 77 Kcal per Sandwich