- 8 slices of whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup onions, sliced
- 4 tsp low fat butter to cook
For the sprouts
- 1 cup boiled mixed sprouts
- 1/2 cup potatoes , boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 2 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsp pav bhaji masala
- 2 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp black salt (sanchal)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp oil
- salt to taste
For the sprouts:
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté
till the onions turn translucent.
2. Add the ginger-garlic paste, green chilli and sauté for
another 1 minute.
3. Add the pav bhaji masala, coriander-cumin seed powder,
turmeric powder, black salt, tomatoes and salt and cook for 5
4. Add the sprouts and potatoes and mix well. Keep aside.
How to proceed:
1. Divide the sprouts mixture into 4 equal portions.
2. Place one portion on one slice of bread. Top with an onion
slice and sandwich using another slice of bread.
3. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 3 more
4. Pre-heat the griller and grill the sandwiches, using a little
low fat butter to cook.
5. Serve hot.
Tips: Pav bhaji masala is a spice blend that is easily
available at provision stores.