for 3 servings
To be ground into a paste
- 1 cup kabuli chana (white chick peas), soaked and boiled
- 1/2 cup chopped low fat paneer( cottage cheese)
- 3 medium sized brinjals (baingan / eggplant), skinned and
- 3 small sized tomatoes, blanched and blended into pulp
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 sticks of cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 cloves (laung / lavang)
- 2 bayleaves (tejpatta)
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
1 tsp coriander-cumin seeds (dhania-jeera) powder
- 2 tsp oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the garnish
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped onions
- 8 cloves of garlic (lehsun)
- 12 mm. (˝") piece of ginger (adrak)
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
How To ?
• Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a non-stick pan and cook the
brinjal pieces in it on a slow flame until they are soft.
• Blend them with the tomato pulp in a blender till smooth. Keep
• Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and add the cumin
• When they crackle, add the ground paste, cinnamon, cloves and
bayleaves and sauté for a few seconds.
• Add the brinjal-tomato mixture, garam masala and chilli powder
and sauté for a few minutes.
• Add the kabuli chana, amchur, coriander-cumin seed powder, 1˝
cups water and salt and bring to a boil.
• Add the paneer, mix gently and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
• Serve hot garnished with coriander.