Avakai is a popular pickle recipe, from South India.
• 25 Mangoes (raw)
• 250 g Mustard Powder
• 250 g Salt
• 5 Garlic Pods
• 250 g Chili Powder
• 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder
• 500 ml Oil
• Without removing the skin, chop the mangoes into big
• Spread out the pieces on a piece of cloth and let them
• Mix mustard powder, chili powder, garlic pods and
turmeric powder with oil, to make a thick masala.
• In a dry, clean glass jar, spread a layer of mangoes
followed by a layer of masala
• Repeat the same for the remaining mangoes.
• Close the jar tightly and keep aside for 4 to 5 days.
• After five days, open the jar and mix the pickle with a
dry spoon. Close the lid.
• Avakai is ready!