FISH MAPPAS RECIPE
Fish Mappas is a delicious recipe from South India that can be served on Pongal.
• ½ kg Fish (King fish or Butter fish)
• 2 medium-sized Onions, sliced
• 6 Green Chilies, slit
• 2-inch piece Ginger, chopped
• 4 Garlic Pods, chopped
• 2 tsp Vinegar
• 12 Curry Leaves
• 1½ cups Thin Coconut Milk
• ¾ cup Thick Coconut Milk
• 1 tbsp Kashmiri Chili Powder
• ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
• 1 tsp Coriander Powder
• ½ tsp Cumin Powder
• Salt, to taste
• 3 tbsp Oil
• In a small bowl, prepare a paste of kashmiri chili
powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, salt, and
cumin powder, with 4 tsp water.
• Heat oil in a pan and saute onions, green chilies,
garlic, ginger and curry leaves together.
• When the onions start turning purple, put masala paste
in it (prepared earlier) and mix.
• Now, put in thin coconut milk, vinegar and salt and
mix. Cover it and let it boil.
• When the mixture has boiled, put fish in it and let it
cook for about 10 to 15 minutes.
• When the fish is tender and the gravy thickens, put
thick coconut milk in it and let it cook on simmer flame
for 3 minutes.
• Remove from flame and serve hot with rice.