PARUPPU URANDAI KOZHAMBU RECIPE
Paruppu Urandai Kozhambu is a traditional recipe of Tamil Nadu.
• 3/4 Cup gram dal
• 1 Diced onion
• 3 Dry red chilies
• 2 tbsp Oil
• 1 tsp Chili powder
• 1 tsp Coriander powder
• 1/4 tsp Saunf (Fennel)
• 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
• 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
• 1/4 Cup grated coconut (optional)
• Salt to taste
• Soak gram dal in water for a couple of hours.
• Grind it to a very coarse mix, adding red chillies,
saunf and 1/2 tsp salt.
• Make small lime sized balls from the mixture and steam
them in idli plates in a pressure cooker.
• Take a pan, heat oil and add mustard seeds.
• When the mustard seeds splutter, add the onions and
saute for a while.
• Add coriander powder, chili and turmeric powders and
fry for few minutes adding water.
• Now add the steamed dal balls with this and cook for
• Grind the grated coconut with some water to form a fine
paste and add to the kozhambu.
• Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu is ready to serve.