PEERKANGAI KOOTU RECIPE
Peerkangai Kootu is also known as Ridge Gourd Kootu.
• 2 Medium size ridge gourds
• 1/4 Cup toor dal
• 1/2Cup moong dal
• 1 Medium size onion
• 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
• 1 tsp Coriander powder
• 1 Medium size tomato
• 2 Green chilies
• 1/2 tsp Chili powder
• 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
• Oil as required
• 1/4 tsp Tamarind concentrate
• Salt for taste
• Cut ridge gourd into round pieces.
• Take oil in a pressure pan and fry moong dal for about
• Combine the thoor dal with it, pour 1 glass water and
cook for about 1 whistle.
• Add the gourd pieces, green chili, turmeric powder,
chili powder, coriander powder and salt to the dal.
• Cook the dal until ridge gourd becomes soft.
• Take a kadai and heat oil.
• Add the cumin seeds and fry until splutter.
• Add the chopped onion and fry until golden brown.
• Combine the chopped tomato with it and cook for about 6
• Add the dal to the kadai and cook for about 10 minutes
over medium heat.
• Add tamarind to the Peerkangai Kootu and serve.