Puliodarai Puliodarai is a popular South
Indian dish made from tamarind and rice.
• 5 Lemon sized tamarind balls
• 2 Cups rice
• 2 Cups peanut
• 5 Red chillies
• 2 Green chillies
• 4 Inch piece of ginger
• 1 tsp Asafoetida
• 1 tsp Turmeric
• 1 tsp Mustard
• 1 tsp Chana daal
• 2 tsp Sambar powder
• 1/2 Cup curry leaves
• 1/2 Cup gingelly/sesame oil
• 4 tsp Salt
• Soak tamarind in warm water for about 10 minutes.
• Pass through a strainer to obtain the pulp.
• Boil the rice.
• Spread this rice in a large utensil and let it cool.
• Take a pan and heat oil in it.
• Add mustard, daal, sambar powder, chilles, ginger,
asafoetida, tamarind pulp, turmeric and salt.
• If the pulp is very thick, add 1/2 cup water.
• Bring this mixture to a boil.
• Now combine peanuts and curry leaves with it.
• When the mixture starts to leave the sides of the pan,
remove it from the fire.
• Now add this mixture to the rice and mix it gently without
crushing the rice.
• If it is too dry, add some heated gingelly oil to the rice
to separate it.
• Now the Puliyo Darai is ready to serve.