Cuisine Style Tamilnadu
Cooking Time 45 minutes To Serve 4 Take with any side dish
Rice- 2 cups
Oil- 4 tbs
Ground nuts roasted - 1/4 cup
Sesame seed - 10 Grams
Tamarind - 100 Grams
Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
Bengal gram- 2 tbs
Jaggery- 10 Grams
Turmeric - 1 tbs
Pepper - 10 Grams
Fenugreek - 10 Grams
Asafoetida (Hing) - 1 Tbs
Salt to taste
For Tamarind Gravy
• Soak tamarind in the water for 45 minutes and get thick
• In a pan pour oil and add mustard seed and allow it for
spluttering then add Bengal gram, Red chillis, Curry leaves
one by one.
• Sprinkle Asafoetida, turmeric.
• Add tamarind extract, roasted ground nut and salt and mix
• Then add Jaggery and cook for 15 minutes.
Preparation of Powder (To be sprinkled after mixing of gravy)
• Dry roast the following ingredients: Sesame seed, Pepper,
Fenugreek, Red chillies (4) and grind keep it aside.
• Cook the rice in less water and spread in a big plate, pour
oil and allow it for cooling so that all granules will be
• Mix the rice with gravy.
• Often add gigly oil while mixing.
• Then sprinkle the powder.
• Once everything is done, keep this puliyogre(tamarind rice)
in the betel leaf.
Tips: Use black tamarind.