Theeyal is made from a spice mixture consisting of coconut, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and red
• 1/2 Cup grated coconut
• 1 Cup baby onions
• 5-6 Curry leaves
• 2 tbsp Tamarind paste
• 1/2 tsp Sugar
• 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
• 1 Pinch asafoetida
• 7 Red chilies
• 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
• 7-8 Black peppercorns
• 1 tbsp Coriander seeds
• Salt to taste
• 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
• Water as needed
• 3 tbsp Oil
• Heat 1 tbsp oil in a small pan and fry coconut until light
• Add 5 red chilies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds,
peppercorns and fry until it produce an aroma.
• Combine the turmeric powder with it and stir-fry for about
• Let it cool and then grind it to make a coarse powder, set
• Heat 2 tbsp oil and add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and
rest of the red chilies.
• When the seeds start spluttering, add asafoetida and onions
to it and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
• Combine the ground masala powder with it and cook for few
• Add water, tamarind paste, salt and sugar to it and bring to
• Reduce the heat and Simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
• Serve theeyal with steamed rice.