Cuisine Style: Andhra
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
To Serve 4
Take with Steamed
•Horse gram (Telugu Ulava, Tamil: Kollu)-250 gm
•Coriander seed-1 tbs
•Tamarind Extract (diluted)-1/4 cup
•Mustard seeds-1 tsp
•Curry leaves- 1 spring
•Coriander leaves-1 spring
•Salt to taste
•Oil and Water as needed
• Soak Horse gram over night and pressure cook till soft.
• Chop the onion.
• Drain the water and keep it aside for later use
(Water's color will be in chocolate color).
• Dry roast Red chili, Cumin seed, pepper, Coriander seed
and grind to fine paste.
• Smash ginger and garlic.
• Smash half of horse gram.
• In a pan heat oil and put mustard seed.
• Put curry leaves, Onion, smashed Ginger and Garlic,
• Add smashed horse gram and mix well.
• Pour tamarind extract add salt.
• Add sufficient water and make sure the gravy is not too
• Put remaining horse gram.
• Sprinkle finely chopped coriander leaves over the
• Remove from flame.
• Serve with Chapatti or steamed rice.
Note: Don’t add chili powder.
Tips: Add more water and make diluted horse gram soup