High blood pressure, defined as systolic pressure above 140 mm Hg and diastolic above 90 mm Hg. High blood pressure may sometimes be secondary to diseases of kidneys or endocrine glands like the ovaries, suprarenals or pituitary; this may respond to treatment of the cause.
Essentially hypertension is the most common disease of the industrialized societies, particularly among the middle and old age groups. It is a major contributor to the development of cardiovascular disease, stroke, and renal failure. The higher the systolic or the diastolic pressure, the greater the risk of coronary heart disease.
Kempner advocated a rice-fruit-sugar diet for high blood pressure that gave impressive results even in severe high blood pressure. Some authorities argue that the argument was due not only to the low protein, low fat, low sodium diet, but also due to the weight loss and rest under hospital conditions.
An obese patient must reduce to normal bodyweight with low calorie diet as recommended for obesity.
A diet of 50 grams is necessary to maintain nutrition
It is advisable to avoid a high intake of animal fats or hydrogenated oils (vegetable ghee, vanaspati, margarine). About 40 to 50 grams fat, partly as vegetable oil, is permitted.
Easily digestible carbohydrates are of great help.
The micronutrients affecting blood pressure are sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium.
All patients with high blood pressure are advised to limit salt intake.
Ideal Daily sodium intake:
Mild low sodium diet : 2.3 grams
Moderately low sodium diets :1.2 grams
Restricted low sodium diets :0.6 grams
Potassium (salt substitute)
Dietary potassium restriction increases blood pressure in patients with hypertension. If diuretics are administered to a patient with high blood pressure, supplements of fruit juices or potassium salts, such as 2 to 4 grams potassium citrate thrice a day, are administered. Increase in potassium intake is claimed to reduce blood pressure.
Higher calcium intake raises blood pressure in some people
Indications are that magnesium is necessary to regulate blood pressure.
- Suffering From Anemia? Here Are Some Diet Tips & Advice For Anemics By Shubi HusainInadequate supply of nutrients lead to reduction in total circulating hemoglobin. Here are few Diet Tips & Advice For Anemics by Shubi Husain
- Kidney Disease – Chronic Renal Failure Diet & Nutrient ConsiderationThe purpose of Chronic Renal failure diet is to maintain a balance of electrolytes, minerals, and fluid in patients who are on dialysis.
- Diet Recommendation For Covid Patients & Those Recovering.. By Shubi HusainDiet Recommendation For Covid Patients, By Shubi Husain. Also Know What to eat, what not to eat by those who have already recovered from Covid
- Hypertension – Suffering From High Blood Pressure! Know What To Eat & What To AvoidEssentially hypertension or high blood pressure is the most common disease of the industrialized societies. Know what to eat and what to avoid in case of high BP
- Check Your Immunity Score & See Where You Stand – Boost Immunity With Diet Tips From Shubi HusainCheck Your Immunity Score. Grade yourself into Poor, Average Or Good. Know how to boost your immunity, with Diet Tips from Shubi Husain
- Treatment Of Food Allergies Through Diet Management And ControlA food allergy is an adverse immune response to a food protein. The mainstay otreatment for food allergy is avoidance of the foods that have been identified as allergens
- Nutritional And Dietary Management During Menopause – The Menopause DietMenopause is the beginning of your “third age.” As you move into this time of your life, it is essential to manage your nutritional and dietary intake to enjoy a blissful living
- Dietary Measures To Prevent And Control Osteoporosis | The Osteoporosis DietSuffering from Osteoporosis, the disease that reduces bone mass. Dietary Measures To Prevent And Control Osteoporosis | Osteoporosis Diet
- Nutritional Management Of Pancreatitis – The Pancreatitis DietPancreas is by far the most complex organ in the human body. Know about the Nutritional management of pancreatitis through Pancreatitis Diet
- World Asthma Day | You Will Be Surprised To Know These Myths And Facts About AsthmaWorld Asthma Day – Here are a few myths and facts about asthma that everyone must know and which surprisingly clear many a misconceptions linked to Asthma.