High blood pressure, defined as systolic pressure above 140 mm Hg and diastolic above 90 mm Hg. High blood pressure may sometimes be secondary to diseases of kidneys or endocrine glands like the ovaries, suprarenals or pituitary; this may respond to treatment of the cause.
Essentially hypertension is the most common disease of the industrialized societies, particularly among the middle and old age groups. It is a major contributor to the development of cardiovascular disease, stroke, and renal failure. The higher the systolic or the diastolic pressure, the greater the risk of coronary heart disease.
Kempner advocated a rice-fruit-sugar diet for high blood pressure that gave impressive results even in severe high blood pressure. Some authorities argue that the argument was due not only to the low protein, low fat, low sodium diet, but also due to the weight loss and rest under hospital conditions.
An obese patient must reduce to normal bodyweight with low calorie diet as recommended for obesity.
A diet of 50 grams is necessary to maintain nutrition
It is advisable to avoid a high intake of animal fats or hydrogenated oils (vegetable ghee, vanaspati, margarine). About 40 to 50 grams fat, partly as vegetable oil, is permitted.
Easily digestible carbohydrates are of great help.
The micronutrients affecting blood pressure are sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium.
All patients with high blood pressure are advised to limit salt intake.
Ideal Daily sodium intake:
Mild low sodium diet : 2.3 grams
Moderately low sodium diets :1.2 grams
Restricted low sodium diets :0.6 grams
Potassium (salt substitute)
Dietary potassium restriction increases blood pressure in patients with hypertension. If diuretics are administered to a patient with high blood pressure, supplements of fruit juices or potassium salts, such as 2 to 4 grams potassium citrate thrice a day, are administered. Increase in potassium intake is claimed to reduce blood pressure.
Higher calcium intake raises blood pressure in some people
Indications are that magnesium is necessary to regulate blood pressure.
- Seek Immediate Care For Hepatitis Symptoms This ‘World Hepatitis Day’World Hepatitis Day – Hepatitis severity can range from self-limiting to life threatening. So Why Wait. Seek Care for Hepatitis Symptoms Now
- Seven Diet Myths You Must Stop Believing In, Says Shubi Husain7 Diet Myths Busted, is a direct sequel from one of my works on Youtube’s Diet and Nutrition Channel. Here i advise and bust many a myths, for the benefit of one and all.
- Andhra Pradesh Gets ‘Varian Halcyon’ World’s Most Advanced Radiation TherapyAmerican Oncology Institute, Guntur is the first hospital in Andhra Pradesh to offer the advantage of advanced technology with the latest facilities administered by specialized and internationally reputed doctors.
- Co’s Expand Operations To Make Cow Milk Readily Available To End Consumers In IndiaAs cow milk in India is becoming easily available across stores, consumption too is increasing in direct proportions.
- Demand For Weight Loss Experts Soars As Indians Rush To Drop Pandemic KilosPost a severe second wave and a harsh lockdown, the demand for Weight Loss Experts Soars As Indians Rush To Drop Pandemic Kilos
- Suffering From Anemia? Here Are Some Diet Tips & Advice For Anemics By Shubi HusainInadequate supply of nutrients lead to reduction in total circulating hemoglobin. Here are few Diet Tips & Advice For Anemics by Shubi Husain
- Kidney Disease – Chronic Renal Failure Diet & Nutrient ConsiderationThe purpose of Chronic Renal failure diet is to maintain a balance of electrolytes, minerals, and fluid in patients who are on dialysis.
- Diet Recommendation For Covid Patients & Those Recovering.. By Shubi HusainDiet Recommendation For Covid Patients, By Shubi Husain. Also Know What to eat, what not to eat by those who have already recovered from Covid
- Hypertension – Suffering From High Blood Pressure! Know What To Eat & What To AvoidEssentially hypertension or high blood pressure is the most common disease of the industrialized societies. Know what to eat and what to avoid in case of high BP
- Check Your Immunity Score & See Where You Stand – Boost Immunity With Diet Tips From Shubi HusainCheck Your Immunity Score. Grade yourself into Poor, Average Or Good. Know how to boost your immunity, with Diet Tips from Shubi Husain