High blood pressure, defined as systolic pressure above 140 mm Hg and diastolic above 90 mm Hg. High blood pressure may sometimes be secondary to diseases of kidneys or endocrine glands like the ovaries, suprarenals or pituitary; this may respond to treatment of the cause.
Essentially hypertension is the most common disease of the industrialized societies, particularly among the middle and old age groups. It is a major contributor to the development of cardiovascular disease, stroke, and renal failure. The higher the systolic or the diastolic pressure, the greater the risk of coronary heart disease.
Kempner advocated a rice-fruit-sugar diet for high blood pressure that gave impressive results even in severe high blood pressure. Some authorities argue that the argument was due not only to the low protein, low fat, low sodium diet, but also due to the weight loss and rest under hospital conditions.
An obese patient must reduce to normal bodyweight with low calorie diet as recommended for obesity.
A diet of 50 grams is necessary to maintain nutrition
It is advisable to avoid a high intake of animal fats or hydrogenated oils (vegetable ghee, vanaspati, margarine). About 40 to 50 grams fat, partly as vegetable oil, is permitted.
Easily digestible carbohydrates are of great help.
The micronutrients affecting blood pressure are sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium.
All patients with high blood pressure are advised to limit salt intake.
Ideal Daily sodium intake:
Mild low sodium diet : 2.3 grams
Moderately low sodium diets :1.2 grams
Restricted low sodium diets :0.6 grams
Potassium (salt substitute)
Dietary potassium restriction increases blood pressure in patients with hypertension. If diuretics are administered to a patient with high blood pressure, supplements of fruit juices or potassium salts, such as 2 to 4 grams potassium citrate thrice a day, are administered. Increase in potassium intake is claimed to reduce blood pressure.
Higher calcium intake raises blood pressure in some people
Indications are that magnesium is necessary to regulate blood pressure.
- Have Doubts Whether Your Partner Is Turning Schizophrenic?Schizophrenia is a serious and complex disorder of the brain that affects your ability to think, feel, and perceive things in a normal way. Not easily identifiable and with lack of knowledge we often keep […]
- On World Cancer Day, American Oncology Institute Appeals To Close The Care GapFebruary 4th is commemorated as ‘World Cancer Day’. This year’s World Cancer Day theme is “CLOSE THE CARE GAP”. About 10 million people succumb to cancer every year. It is the 2nd leading cause of […]
- Chef Sebastian Breitinger’s Relishing Recipe Of Poached Red Wine Pears and Duck RilletteEver wanted to savour soomething from Chef Sebastian Breitinger. Try his Relishing Recipe Of Poached Red Wine Pears and Duck Rillette
- Boost Your Metabolism With These Top 10 Foods Recommended By Shubi HusainSome of the most common but healthy nutritional foods are recommended by nutritionist and obesity management expert Shubi Husain, that one needs to incorporate in one’s daily diet to speed up the metabolic rate.
- Unravelling Blood Cancer – Must Know Symptoms and Treatment OptionsIn India, over 1 lakh cases of blood cancer are diagnosed each year, accounting for about 8-10% of total cancer. As per literature, India has the third-highest rate of blood cancer. September is observed as […]
- Seek Immediate Care For Hepatitis Symptoms This ‘World Hepatitis Day’World Hepatitis Day – Hepatitis severity can range from self-limiting to life threatening. So Why Wait. Seek Care for Hepatitis Symptoms Now
- Seven Diet Myths You Must Stop Believing In, Says Shubi Husain7 Diet Myths Busted, is a direct sequel from one of my works on Youtube’s Diet and Nutrition Channel. Here i advise and bust many a myths, for the benefit of one and all.
- Andhra Pradesh Gets ‘Varian Halcyon’ World’s Most Advanced Radiation TherapyAmerican Oncology Institute, Guntur is the first hospital in Andhra Pradesh to offer the advantage of advanced technology with the latest facilities administered by specialized and internationally reputed doctors.
- Co’s Expand Operations To Make Cow Milk Readily Available To End Consumers In IndiaAs cow milk in India is becoming easily available across stores, consumption too is increasing in direct proportions.
- Demand For Weight Loss Experts Soars As Indians Rush To Drop Pandemic KilosPost a severe second wave and a harsh lockdown, the demand for Weight Loss Experts Soars As Indians Rush To Drop Pandemic Kilos